11 August 2011

Art I like - Mary Lloyd Jones

One of the best things at Festival of Quilts (to my eye) was the huge layered dye paintings of Mary Lloyd Jones -As well as intense colours and irregular shapes
she uses symbols and writing in many of her works

Of her work she writes: "My aim is that my work should reflect my identity, my relationship with the land, an awareness of history, and the treasure of our literary and oral traditions. I search for devices that will enable me to create multilayered works. This has led to my involvement with the beginnings of language, early man made marks and the Ogham and Bardic Alphabets."

In her First Language series, she has used mixed media and incorporated text to explore the theme of identity by focusing on Celtic languages, notably Welsh and its sister languages of Breton, Cornish, Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

(In response to the question "are they quilted" - they have a few lines of stitch holding the layers together.)

4 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Are these quilted at all? They're really beautiful.

Sandra Wyman said...

Just back from FOQ - sorry to have missed you. I love her work too - I hadn't come across it before this week

Julie said...

This was one of the stand-out exhibits for me at FOQ too. I hadn't come across this artist before either but I will be researching her work now. Thank you for the link. I saw you at FOQ but didn't get chance to say hello. Hope you had a good day there.

Cas Holmes said...

I had the opportunity to exhibit alongside Mary Lyoyd Jones in the late eighties and early nineties as part of New Fibre Art. I agree, her work is and was always stunning. Good to see it again

Cas Holmes