02 September 2011

Recommended reading

 
Alisa Golden's book is attractive, comprehensive, and clear. It's inspirational and interesting, thanks to the photos and "tidbits". You really want to get stuck right into making books when you look through this compendium!
I loved this snippet on Visual Diaries (shown on the page above) by Anne Hicks Siberell:

"As a child I wrote but later liberally censored my five-year diary, confiding 'Dear Diary, YOU know what happened...' Now, decades later, the diary tells me nothing. As an adult, I found myself still reluctant to write anything but the decorous in my journals - heaven forbid someone should read it. While researching the origin of Babylonian clay tablets for a children's book, it occurred to me that tablets might work for my diaries. I began to record events by placing objects into wet cement, then painting, drawing, or carving on the solid surface. These small-sized memory jogs never lose their ability to aid my recall of an event or certain period of time. I also make collaged diaries in accordion-fold books, and the pictures flow into one another, forming a timeline or a long mural. I like that information can be recorded, stored, then brought into focus without what we recognize as our traditional written language."

No comments: