21 October 2011

Art I like - Massimo Polello

I stumbled on this video of calligrapher Massimo Polello at work - seeing the shiny ink go onto the paper makes you want to do it yourself immediately!

See more of his work on his website  (or here). He lives in Turin and is a member of a group of artist-calligraphers called Doigts Noires.
In addition to designing packaging, he has worked with film-maker Peter Greenaway.

I'm drawn to the abstract qualities of his lines, as well as the materials he uses. Although calligraphy traditionally relies on legibility, even elegance, my personal interest is in the wilder manifestations - the illegibility and inventiveness, the texture rather than the text.

2 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

I know, I must remember to watch it when I'm feeling lazy!
Sx

Digitalgran said...

Thanks for introducing me to this man's work and it has exactly the same effect on me. I'm itching to get at some wet paint.