07 September 2019

Studio Saturday - mornings in the studio

It's so enjoyable to sit in the studio every morning - with my back to the mess that must be tackled someday. The table by the window is mostly clear - but this week there were lots of shavings from the "Anni" woodblock
 Kinda like a great cloud tumbling over a tiny landscape...

One bit of fooling around involved cutting holes from magazines - I wanted circles that were part dark, part light -
 Nice big punch -
 Strange things appear through the holes -
 and the cut pages can be arranged "interestingly" -

 as can the circles
Not sure where this is going! Waiting to see where it might lead...

This is a collection of bits of blue tape removed from my cutting mat -
 and a rubbing taken. Again, just play.

The worktop was clear enough, thanks to a burst of clearing up and throwing out, for laying out some inky drawings that surfaced -
 "channeling Munakata and Carli Accardi". And using "chinese money".

Sometimes I spend rather too long looking at instagram, and sometimes an image calls out to me -
After awkwardly starting drawing in the little notebook, I found that if I "liked" doing it, it flowed. Looking harder made it look better. I'm quite pleased with the results -

2 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

Good to find your blog again and to spend a happy half hour catching up (it’s been a long time!)
I’m especially intrigued by that good sized hole punch with a long reach in this post and am wondering where you found it.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Good to find your blog again and to spend a happy half hour catching up (it’s been a long time!)
I’m especially intrigued by that good sized hole punch with a long reach in this post and am wondering where you found it.