23 May 2009

Textiles 2

Outside, a lovely morning (notable because that makes a change!) -
After a slideshow showing how accumulation and repetition can be used, which included wonderful work from Japanese textile artists, it was time to make four samples based on our drawings from the previous session, using the many materials at hand.
Not sure where this combination of stretchy tights and tarlatan is going...
...or these bits of tights stretched over bent cane - just something I had to get out of my system -
In the scrap box, strips of fine linen - inspirational -(but I'm trying to learn how to start with the idea, not with the materials!) -These are the same on the outside, but with different things inside. There's a metaphor lurking there somewhere?
By the end of the day I had several series started, including this one using the twisty characteristics of the rayon thread -
Here they are, on the drawing that (sort of) inspired them -
I aim to make more "upside down pots" and add different kinds of thread. But instead of being a series of samples, these samples could be progressive - taking one element and making a sample based on that, then taking another element from that sample. So they might not end up as "pots" at all. Next week, we also need to do one more resolved piece.

2 comments:

Béatrice. said...

hello Mane.

Your photos have a suréalist look

Go on my blog, photos of my studio. That is as well surréaliste, when I will have to sell all these :

Bisous. Béatrice.

magsramsay said...

Intriguing - Dorothy Caldwell-esqe vessels made solid? Perhaps it's the colour palette and materials ( I know how easy it is to be led astray by these)