10 August 2010

Making books (summer school) - 1

On the first day, which was really half a day, we did some simple folding of various structures - and stitched a simple pamphlet with a fold-around cover.

The next morning we learned how to cut and cover boards - grain, gluing - and made a simple zigzag book. The paper is 220 gsm cartridge -
Later, I used fabric I'd brought along to make a couple more books like this, and accumulated quite a lot of boards to make into covers will some of the accumulation of fabric at home -
The fabric will soil easily, so these books will have slipcovers.

The golden yellow book cloth is part of a roll that was in the bargain bin at the college shop - I couldn't resist. In fact the colour started a train of thought that led to my "crayon books"; more about those later.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I've been spraying my padfolios with a product designed to protect everything from car upholstery and patio furniture to fine silk. It's a bit like Scotchguard, except it also has UV protectant. I just figured with as much handling as a padfolio would get, you had to protect that fabric from dirt and spills somehow.

I really like your book in the later post. Very much like some of the projects in the bookbinding texts I got from the library. Really fun stuff!