05 August 2010

Pointe d'Hongrie

Known also as Hungarian point stitch or flame stitch, this panel dates to the early 18th century - "hand woven with coloured wools and silks," says the description in the window of an antique textile dealer on Jermyn Street.

The panel measures 1.47m x 2.13m. Here's a closeup:
"Known in Europea as early as 1600, flame stitch was highly prized as hangings and valences for four-poster beds and wall coverings, and was used in interiors from Denmark ... to Italy."

3 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I can't believe this. My husband works in Jermyn St and has never even hinted the textile shop in the street. Next time I go into town, I'll seek it out. Though normally it's when we're there for a night out and I'm wearing heels. I don't walk far in them (grin).

wlstarn said...

From the closeup, this appears to be knitted.

Joyce said...

I agree! Definitely looks like stocking stitch and a fairisle type pattern.
Best
Joyce F

PS Don't think I've ever commented on your blog before but been enjoying your artistic journeys for a couple of years.