02 November 2018

Things are getting seasonally grouchy again...

Now that the clocks have gone back, and with Hallowe'en out of the way (at last), out comes the tinsel and frills and we're into the C******** season. "Peace on earth and goodwill to men" and you can bet it's the women doing the shopping and cooking and wrapping the presents and writing the cards. Bah humbug.

Good to see that Posy Simmons has been updating that old favourite, Dicken's Christmas Carol, translating Scrooge into Cassandra Darke - read an excerpt here -
(via)
An important part of the seasonal jollification (aka consumerism) is the John Lewis Christmas advert. Perhaps I'm the only person in the UK who hasn't ever - to my knowledge - seen it in years past, but I'm aware of its cultural clout and what a wonderful topic of conversation it is. When will it air? Are the shop's windows a clue to what's in the ad? Oh my ... speculation is rife...

Caveat emptor. Or do I mean Cave canem? No, not that either. Aha, here it is - a thought to hold on to even in the midst of grumpiness and excess, in spite of everything ...

- carpe diem -


2 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas ... without determination become Money, Money, Money.
I'm delighted about Cassandra Drake, and look forward to curling up with it.

patty a. said...

I have seen displays of Xmas candy along side Halloween candy! Right now we are being bombarded with constant political campaign ads on TV and they will be replaced with Xmas advertising next Wednesday. I don't know which one is worse! I plan on concentrating on being with family this holiday season.