08 April 2020

Woodblock Wednesday

While setting up the workspace I came across the circle pints and blocks and played around with the idea of printing a long scroll -
 ... or using the existing prints as a sequence -
 Another set of prints would make a nice long piece on the wall, and would have a 3D effect -
 Sew them into a length of chinese paper? -

On with the day's printing. Last week I did two layers with the "water" block
 This week I printed the third layer onto most of these -

The aim was, partly, to make them less green, and also to experiment with colours (second print in top row) and sequence of layers (very-green print in bottom row has two layers of different yellows).

These three are my favourites -

 And these two were left with just two layers, so that I could cut back the middle layer some more, in order to get more of the first layer showing -

At the end of the session I felt that it's time to retire this block for a while. 

Tutor Carol started a whatsapp mokuhanga group, for questions and discussion - we meet at the usual class hours, 10-1 Wednesday, and can show work and chat. Keeping in contact in this way is very motivating. 

Carol put together a quick project for those who wished to try it - white line printing. I had unwittingly used this technique  for my "solstice" prints and think I'd rather start carving the reduction print that's jiggling round in my imagination -
It's currently 10x12cm  - oh those skinny legs! - it needs to be almost twice that size.

No comments: