08 September 2020

Drawing Tuesday - fruits/vegetables

A bit of background

This theme should be fairly straightforward, no? Get a fruit or vegetable, or several, and draw or paint or collage...

The number of items depicted is up to you - so is whether they are the actual item, or something made from or painted on pottery, or items taken from one of those great 18th century still lives, for instance by Melendez or this one

Search for "still life fruit vegetables" and you'll be spoilt for choice, and get to know a few new artists or revisit favourites. Learn from the masters!

If you want to set up "a proper still life", here are some tips - https://onlineartlessons.com/tutorial/how-to-compose-a-still-life/. To improve the composition and "avoid mistakes" - https://willkempartschool.com/7-simple-compositional-tweaks-that-make-your-still-life-painting-100-more-professional/ (with useful info on those pesky ellipses). This one includes step by step of drawing a pineapple. And there are many more....


From Carol - My lunch (if it lasts this long).  I’m trying to speed up with my drawing being more free and less fastidious so this was a good study to have a go at. Speeding up means more opportunities to draw away from the home (and less waiting about for my husband)! Perhaps this would be a good challenge for one Tuesday although I know some of you are already very speedy indeed (Janet this means you).

From Joyce - watercolour of some salad ingredients looking at complementary colours. Lovely to have such gorgeous colours.

From Ann - A rather still still life of the only fruit and veg in the fridge. Better had I used watercolour paper...but enjoyed the exercise.

From Sue S - allotment veggies on a steel tray, rendered in foil, cut out shapes in coloured paper & card with felt pen highlights. Interesting to try a new method.

From Sue B - A humble drawing of the lemons in my trug, given how marvellous the offerings to date are!!!
Take two, from a different angle, and using chalk pastels (to suggest colour) and pencil

From  Judith - The sun went in and then came out and the phone rang about six times!  Trying different watercolour papers but too disrupted to come to any conclusions.

From Najlaa - Watermelon today.

From Hazel - Here's my drawing of a pineapple. Drawn with coloured pencils.

From Richard - I aimed to loosen up by using watercolour and fairly simple shapes and colours. Nonetheless, bogged myself down in needless detail but a bit faster and a real pleasure. Good to be out of doors.

From Mags - In watercolour directly in my sketchbook I drew the 5 varieties of plums from the fruit stall ( Victoria, Marjories Seedling, Edward, Mirabelle and Reeves ) and the strawberry tops after lunch. Should have used better paper, last week's tap shows through!




From Jackie - two kinds of onions…trying out my  chalk pastels on black paper.

From Sylvia - Here are my figs in fish dish. Now I can finally eat them!

From Gill - My excuse for this drawing is that these were snatched away for lunch!

From  Janet B - A couple of Oddbox corn on the cobs drawn in a sunny garden this morning. Yippee I can now cook them for supper. 

And finally - my "wild tomatoes" (that's what it said on the box) -
 Where to start with the colour? -
Lesson - let the adjacent colour dry, or it will spread into the new, wet one. So I took a break before colouring in the stems -
Interesting to mix the reds, but I did get the dark green tomato completely wrong!

No comments: