27 October 2020

Drawing Tuesday - hands

Hands are a great subject - you carry them with you everywhere! Feet too, but they're usually in shoes. Unfortunately for both the viewpoint is somewhat limited. 

Lots of info about hands in this (long) video - https://youtu.be/2CmrMRXoA8Q. Interesting to see the underlying shapes analysed.

In three minutes, without words, you'll get a good idea of proportions and shapes of parts of the hand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvDvqUXG75k&ab_channel=draweasychannel

There's much more info on the internet, but best is to use your eyes of course!


From Sue B - i have been doing pictures from photos of my cousin’s grand-daughter…




From Ann - Here is a drawing of my left old hand! A good exercise..at least I had a still subject.



From Gill - I challenged myself by drawing on the back of another.

 




From Jackie - pen and ink sketches of hands:  making a pot, playing the cello, playing the flute, picking a flower and doing yoga!!



From Sue S - Good to put my feet up for this one! Here’s my take - sketched in caran d’ache (un-wetted) -



From Janet B - My feet in flip flops, my ankles in ankle warmers and a glimpse of calves in jeans. A fun drawing morning. 



From Richard - No-one deserves to see my feet, so wrinkly left hand it was. I’m right handed and did not have the courage to try ‘'wrong-handed’.



From Carol - Some hands sketched a while ago. Am engrossed in making some coil pots ...



From Judith - Didn’t fancy drawing my feet so mini quiz  ‘match the feet’ - Ostrich, dinosaur, venomous platypus, bald eagle, coot, rhino, lemur, crocodile, hedgehog!



From Joyce - Followed Sue’s idea and put my feet up for half an hour! Stabilo water soluble black crayon.



From Hazel - I drew my feet when I attended an online course with the Royal Drawing School recently. The class was called The Body Clothed with tutor Susan Wilson. We used ourselves as models and drew hands and feet quite often. It was an inspiring course. I used a Conté carbon pencil to draw with.


From Mags - I had root canal treatment on Monday and was still recovering ... So I'm sharing a drawing I did in June with prompt of ' holding' . I drew my left hand in pencil holding a Romanian ceramic bowl but then got carried away with watercolour....



From Najlaa - The first one is from a picture of the gloves in Metro newspaper. The 2nd one my decorative hand.




From Helen - produced for my art group when we had the same topic



And mine - Munakata  is my favourite 20th century woodblock artist, so I looked at his treatment of hands. The light areas have been cut away and the dark areas printed. It was interesting, informative, and even somewhat daunting to consider the relationships of dark/light, positive/negative space, drawing vs cutting while doing these. Time well spent.



No comments: