16 March 2021

Drawing Tuesday - under the weather OR something that makes me happy

 Metaphorically, the phrase means "slightly unwell or in low spirits" - but I'm sure you'll not be restricted to metaphorical imaginings. There are literal intepretations - such as, anything that's being rained on. Or otherwise affected by the weather. Or, beyond being affected by the weather? - eg, we don't think of there being weather under the sea. 

If you google the phrase you'll find lots of cartoony images of illness, if you want to go that route.

Here are some artworks involving weather...




Robert Deyber, Under the weather


Lots of Japanese prints involve rain or snow -
image.png

image.png

And so do photographs; this is by Werner Bishof -
image.png

Something a little abstract, based on weather maps -

Weathery words include thunderstorm, lightning, flood, heat wave, mist, clouds ...

The alternative topic is "something that makes me happy".


From Gill - As I’m doing a series of A4 Chinese Ink and acrylic paintings , I thought I’d use this title for inspiration.

I start with ink blots and go from there.

From Mags -  A  world of weather in an Elspeth Owen  sphere .  Joy in making rubbings  with wax crayons on used Colour Catchers  and rereading a favourite story  from childhood about a weather witch. 





From Joyce - Heron in the snow, after Shoshon.

I inherited some scraper board from my Mum so I thought it would be ideal for this! 
Working from dark to light is quite an interesting way to work.

From Sue B - winter mist in sussex…in a friend’s garden

gouache, chalks and charcoal

From Jackie - Millennium bridge  under a murky sky some time back when I was always out and about absorbing central London’s stimulation. Looking forward to the return of safe freedom of movement ...



From Janet K - the thought of being in the Rocky mountains. In the past year the farthest I have travelled from Islington is Hackney Wick so I dream of being in the mountains. I was at the Banff School of Fine Arts (now the Banff Centre) for many summers first as a student then working in the theatre department. The last year I was there I finally climbed - walked up - Mount Rundle.



From Judith - Under all weathers. Over this past year more than 200 trips to 96 hectare Beckenham Place Park has helped keep me sane and makes me happy! A fair weather sketcher, no rain and mud!



From Sue K - Ironically it’s been lovely & sunny all morning & l was staying in to catch postal delivery re a blocked kitchen drain-pipe :(( ! 



From Carol - My take on under the weather (melancholy) and what makes me happy (joy). The Duck Tiger stories have kept me going during lockdown and there are now 15 in paperback format for my Grandchildren to help them understand the world.

Joy -

Melancholy -
Part of the collection -


From me - I have been combatting my "under the weather" moments by doing some online workshops and have been lucky to find papercutting with Beatrice Coron. Her recent workshop on Paper Theatres was inspiring - using the tunnel-book format for static scene-setting. 

I used images found in a random magazine, and coincidentally two of them came from an article on the Cheltenham Festival (horse racing) at this time last year, which turned out to be a superspreader event for covid ... leaving lots of people under the weather, to say the least. 

Three scenes are held and separated by the pleated insert at either side of the box, which has the back cut out to let the light in; the front is cut to open up and show the scene. As for the scene itself, make of it what you will... 





No comments: