27 April 2021

Drawing Tuesday - tools of the trade

 We've done this topic before and now, as then, the first thing that jumps into my mind is Jim Dine's paintbrushes - here's one way to draw them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxXJjLeWWI0&ab_channel=LaurenStacey - or, better (imho), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHbPrVgB3E&ab_channel=AllisonMaurais. Those are both videos for schoolchildren - I found them very liberating!!


The next thing that jumps into my mind is the tool collection at Docklands Museum - the hooks etc used to move the big bales and bundles around.

Those (Polish?) young men on the tube or train with their canvas bags of tools and the spirit level that is too long to fit into the bag, off to the day's job. (The other day I saw a man pushing a bike that had a ladder attached. Cool.)

18th and 19th century travelling seamstresses - spending a week or so with a family, living in, making the year's new clothes for them. This would have been before the sewing machine era, so I imagine they carried needles, shears, etc with them.

Stonemasons, building a cathedral for dozens of years, or perhaps just staying on the job for a while, till they hear of something better....

In Japan, and formerly in UK, apprentices made their own tools and used them throughout their working lives.

Remember all those forceps and other instruments in the "Medicine Man" collection at the Wellcome?

Consider the rockets etc that launch the missions to the moon, Mars, Saturn, and even right out of the solar system. 

And perhaps the delivery vehicles that have become so necessary, and now it's possible they could become robots rather than human-driven.

Thinking 'way back, and looking ahead, and examining what's around us now. In the office, or the kitchen, or the garage perhaps, and certainly in the studio. Easels! Palettes! Pencils! Cameras! Devices! Sketchbooks! Brushes! 


From Ann - Thinking a little outside the theme of ' tools of the trade'. Here are a few sketches from a recent fashion session. The male model is a dress designer and models his designs ...a lively fun session of quick response.. loved it! The designs being the tools of his trade!





From Sue K - ‘Tools of Trade’ - here are some Instruments of torture or comfort - used to mend/ease our various aches & pains over time - forgot the wheatbag!!


The head massager is rather a ‘marmite’ item:- either loved or hated! 

From Carol - I did a trowel audit.  How many does a woman want? The thing is I know there are some more around – I just could not find them.



From Gill - Sorry this is late but the weather has been lovely and my gardens look tidy now. It’s a bit cold today.


From Janet B - One of my "trades" is baking bread. Here is my Kenwood mixer with two dough hooks - I’m firmly of the belief that there is no need to knead - my wonderful German euro shop scraper and a spatula. 


From me - i was intrigued by the videos that showed teachers an art activity for 9-11 year olds. So I followed the instructions and used pencil, pen, charcoal, and watercolour, in that order, finishing with a bit of spatter



From Joyce - I followed the same tutorial, what interesting shapes my brushes are, I need to be more aware of the shape when I choose which brush to use, not just use the one in my hand at the time!


From Sue B - …this is a bit of stretch of concept!…if tools are daffodils to use in flower-arranging (!)…herewith an offering!
the garden of a friend outside henley this spring


From Janet K - My husband is rebuilding our bathroom. This industrial vacuum has been invaluable.



From Mags -  Making ' Tanglefoot Pens'  from beer cans,  bamboo sticks, an old paintbrush and some coffee stirrers, proved difficult  wearing gloves  ( the metal was very sharp )  especially when  wielding scissors and dealing with  recalcitrant Ducktape. Perhaps I should have drawn those as the 'tools' ....Instead  I  drew the pens  that had produced  the marks. 





No comments: