18 May 2021

Drawing Tuesday - crumpled or folded fabrics

 


0518 mc1.jpg
This is a random find, in a flea market in New York, from Instagram. Very realistic! More trompe l'oeil fabric, filling entire rooms, is at https://www.pinterest.co.uk/tawkinslo/trompe-loeil-fabric/

Alison Watt made a series of paintings of white fabric - they were exhibited at the National Gallery, which of course also has all sorts of colourful drapery in paintings. 

Drapery, ah ... bit of a bete noir for some people. Apparently artists used to dip cloth in plaster before starting to paint it. Or perhaps it was the art students or apprentices who did that, thereby getting proficient at it.

For drawing drapery, this short video  offers information like: start by drawing within the folds; pay attention to whether a line peters out or just stops; try drawing dark lines and lighter lines [and that's as far as I've got at time of writing]. It's the shortest video I could find - all those in the sidebar were 4 or 10 times as long!



From CarolI enjoyed revisiting drawing fabrics.  Perhaps the next stage would be trying patterned fabrics.  Well done to those of you who did this – something to aspire to.



From Gill - This is a drawing of a beautiful shawl I bought in Spain. I've only worn it once and that was to a fancy dress party.



From Richard - Watercolour, and I'm still trying to get the hang of mixing in Payne's Grey. By chance, this seems to be begging to have a head poking out of the top, but it’s a much smaller heap than that.



From Sue K - Here’s my collage of pillow, bed sheet & wheat-bag. 



From Ann - A drawing completed for another session. It's a dress draped over the back of a chair. 



From Mags -  Placing Colour Catchers in a net bag ( to prevent them from disappearing into the depths of the washing machine ) produce some wonderful subtle shibori ... I have  built up  quite a collection .  Stitched into them on the train , took rubbings  and drew around some of the outlines when I got home.




From Janet K - the link on 'how to draw drapes' was very helpful. It gave me confidence to attempt drapery.



From Joyce - My study of a tea towel, I enjoyed looking at all the valleys and hills once I got into the drawing!



From Judith - Crumpled newspaper using Procreate.



From Janet B - Playing with the shapes and colours of this scarf has been a relaxing way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon.



From me - a droop rather than a drape - drawn from the imagination, during a phone call. A4 size. I had hoped to use felt pen to make "fat threads", weaving them together, but found that as I spent more time on the drawing, adding complete layers of pencil marks, it morphed into something (possibly) more "real" each time. It's still a work in progress....



No comments: