01 February 2022

Drawing Tuesday - "from an old sketchbook"

This week we can plunder the riches in an old sketchbook - gosh what to choose - it's a chance to find things that still resonate, and to update them, perhaps freshen them up, whether that's through using a different medium or stripping the image back to essentials and reworking it entirely. Or using just a small thing as a starting point. Or combining items from different pages. 




From Ann - A couple of watercolour sketches from 2007. Derbyshire moors from hilltop near village of Eyam. Happy memories.


From Janet K - 
A sketch from several summers ago. Decided it needed a background. 

This is at the Ontario cottage we rent every few years. Cottage grass is nothing like a manicured English croquet lawn. We put one of the hoops on a slight rise which also adds to the challenge.

From Joyce - This is seaweed I drew in the Natural History Museum in March 2016. I’ve now added colour, inktense pencils.


From Mags - 
This  study of ' Johannan' by Ronald Moody from Tate Britain  in Nov 2019  stood out  - used Pitt calligraphy pen and 0.1 pen  to draw the  woodgrain  and then shading in pencil.  I loved drawing it so much I went back after lunch to draw his ear! 




From Sue B - A 200 year-old apricot tree in Tuscany in 2018


From Carol - 
A tiny sketch done at dinner Lake Garda Italy 2016 – a first attempt at refracted light. I was annoyed when the waiter took it away before my drawing could be finished but now Margaret you have given me an opportunity to revisit and finally finish it. Original scanned and printed off enlarged to colour.






From Sue K - I spent s good part of the morning trying to locate the yellow autumn leaf sturdy which I did in January 2019. I went thro’ all my sketchbooks to no avail.
This did involve a fair bit of clearance while I was at it! Turning over a new leaf so to speak!!

Some stencil work dabbing with a sponge & flicking paint off a brush to get the effect on the earlier one.

The second version was done quite recently - I thought to make further use of the stencil, with some lovely random striped Japanese paper grinning thro'.

From Judith - 
Sketches from 2017 into cutouts. 





From Janet B - I did this Japanese shadow puppet in the British Museum in January 2017. I photocopied it on to drawing paper and then coloured it in. I can never use colour in museums as I can’t cope with juggling different pencils while balancing on a sketching stool. I need a table, a comfortable chair and space to spread.





From Richard - For last November's theme of ‘legs' I drew my own, plus table legs. Here are my feet again but in my very warm old Afghan hut shoes.




From me - It started with the little stripey bag, too pretty to throw away. I'd just thrown away an unused tree drawing from a woodblock printing project, inked onto newspaper - retrieved it and cut it out, got the glue, and turned the cutout over. Even better! Onto the background and into the current A4 sketchbook it went. In that same sketchbook are various drawings, made with my small selection of inktense pencils (often without water), of trees in Finsbury Park. The first was done in July 2020, after the first lockdown lifted and we were allowed to just "be" in parks again.






No comments: