25 January 2019

"Distinctive wildlife artist"

An artist new to me - though it was rather distressing to discover Greg Poole and his work through the obituary column. There's a tribute from a friend here, and artistic appreciation here.

He wrote about how he came to his art here:

"I was fortunate to be able to rent a house on Bardsey Island for 6 months in 1988 where I really did draw all day every day but ended up realising that I didn’t know how to take the drawings forward.
The block of work made on Bardsey got me a place on a foundation course at Manchester polytechnic and there I realised how thirsty I was for knowledge about materials and ways to go beyond just drawing what I saw. That year was by far the best academic experience of my life and there aren’t many days when I don’t refer back to some aspect of that course."

Monoprint of gannets (via)
Other gannets (via)

RSPB Award 2015, Short-eared Owl Flying
near Diggers (via)

No comments: