17 June 2012

Reading Chillida

Eduardo Chillida is one of my favourite sculptors and I was pleased to find this book of his writings in the college library (though it's hard to photograph the printed-acetate cover) - 
One section has facsimiles of manuscript pages, translated -
"Beyond and behind knowledge there is a language", he wrote, and also:

Each work a step between the known and the neglected.

I know the work before I make it, but I do not know what it will be like, nor do I want to. I know its aroma.

The work dies when it is finished because until then it has had a continuous life and has been in a process of transformation.

If you believe you are done, you run the risk of eluding a process.

Almost everything can be resolved by taking away.

   As you do not subtract
   you are finished
   As you do not erase
   you are finished


No comments: