17 August 2018

Art in Clay at Hatfield House

For years now I've wanted to get to the pottery event at Hatfield House, and finally managed it. Five tents full of exhibitors, quite an eyeful. I went with a friend who has a quick eye, which helped me focus on the items of real interest. We both did pottery in the art foundation course, and our subsequent pottery experiences have been quite different, which made for interesting discussion. We did agree that next year it would be a very good idea to bring a picnic rather than depend on the food available on site.

I was also looking for ideas for displaying my (still to be made) porcelain pots -






The temptation to purchase overcame me several times -
Made by Chris Lewis
 A tiny milk jug (David Hilton Tableware) -
Purchase decision influenced by what I was wearing?? 
Most difficult decision was which pot from a set by Eddie Curtis to take home. They caught my eye immediately, rough but subtle - and I'd seen him in action, when he gave a demonstration of his methods at Ceramic Art London about ten years ago - it was the first time I'd been to that show; I was new to ceramics and his demo simply bowled me over. Not a way I'd want to work (goodness, I wasn't all that interested in making ceramics at that point) but amazing ... and obviously it left a lasting impression.

This is the one that came home, small but satisfying - 
Smooth and lovely in the hand, and infinitely various to the eye.

In order of purchase
And to put the pots in perspective - the Great Park around Hatfield House has some wonderful, centuries-old trees -
Elizabeth I and her brother Edward spent their childhood at the Royal Palace of Hatfield, built by the Bishop of Ely in 1497 and seized by Henry VIII along with other church properties. 

No comments: