14 August 2018

Drawing Tuesday - Olympic Park

In my absence, Sue took photos and wrote about the day on her blog - suesharples.blogspot.com - click on the link to see the work!

A week after that day, I'm still letting my work from and memories of Dynamic Drawing slush around my subconscious, but here's what I was doing last Tuesday morning - drawing with clay!

The swap-over session gives a short taster of one of the other courses running during the summer school. I found myself learning three ways of modelling animal heads - in the short space of 1-1/2 hours (tutor Susan Halls). 

I couldn't decide on "my animal" and ended up with sheep. Although I'd been walking through a flock of them on my morning walk up to the arboretum, day after day, I found myself without a clear idea of what they actually looked like. Had to guess ... and the first one, which started as a pinch pot, looks more like a wolf! -
 Second method involved rolling out the clay and then cutting wedges out, to shape the head - rather like darts in dressmaking -
 Third method started with a tube for the neck, added a pinch pot for the crown, and then the ears went on separately -

Next morning I had a careful look at the sheep and the placement of their ears - much lower than I'd supposed. Back home, a bit of research was called for and I took my sketchbook to the Natural History Museum in search of a sheep skeleton, but could find only antelopes -
Instructive to see how eyes and ears (and horns) line up. Further research - and clay modelling - is needed.


No comments: