12 September 2018

Self help for creatives

In this article some creative people give their tips on being creative, getting unstuck, that kind of thing.

My favourite snippets:

If I get really stuck, I’ve learned not to just sit with it ... I go and do something different. Sometimes I’ll draw. Sometimes the movement of the hand releases something else that’s stuck in my mind. - Lauren Child, children's author and illustrator
By Lauren Child (via)

 “What you’re doing is not important, what is important is the state of mind in which you are doing it.” (Constantin BrâncuȘi) - quoted by Marina Abramovic, artist

Repetitive activities ... become mechanical. You have to concentrate, but it becomes automatic, leaving the mind free to wander. - Tom Dixon, designer
Tom Dixon, Skull and Crossbones chair, 1984 (via)

Creativity is good in the morning. I take one hour for myself to just play around without any purpose or design in mind. - Camille Walala, artist

Creativity is our normal and fundamental way of being. It is everything else – our education, our social conditioning, our cultural mores, our upbringing – that imprisons our creativity. - Ben Okri, author

I find that the best ideas well up from the subconscious and knock on my “conscious” door. When I hear one knock for the third time, I know I must act. ... Listening to those ideas is important – to hear the faint voice of what you’re genuinely interested in, and filter out the loud noise of desire and vanity. - Wolfgang Tillmans, photographer
(via)
Walking often helps me to think of things or solve problems I’m stuck with, but mostly it’s just going up into that room and sitting down and then comes the “Now what?” - Judith Kerr, children's author and illustrator


If walking's your thing, here are some inspiring walks.

And if you want to stay fit forever, look here.

No comments: