26 June 2019

Woodblock Wednesday - end of term

In the last class of term I returned to what I started working on at the start of term -
 Enhancements of the grey layer ... rather messy in my haste (not a good idea)....
The plan is to use these to make a small version of the Japanese multi-section book that we made in the Monday evening printing+bookbinding course -
 ... and I have plenty of other possibilities for covers of larger versions -
 Lots activity elsewhere -
 including experimentation with the traditional method of transferring the key block via nori and printed paper, then rubbing off the layers of the paper -
At the end of the day, laying out the work - and passing round the strawberries that Val brought in -

 Closeups of prints by first-timers -



 ... and by the repeat offenders -


 This one is the start of a reduction woodblock - you can see the face starting to emerge -
 Cleanup....

Postscript - I hopped on the bus and went to John Purcell Papers, a warehouse near Brixton -


 and got samples of a few papers from their Japanese range -
When I feel brave, or have a suitable block, I'll try printing them -

Unfortunately the papers have to be bought in bulk (?25 sheets at a time?) and their sketchy website doesn't have a price list and definitely needs updating. 

No comments: