05 January 2020

First project of 2020

My favourite tablecloth, the one with subtle grey checks, revealed itself in its true colours 
when I found some remnants of the fabric - the white had, over the years, become rather more grey!

I recently used the remnants (backed with recycled shirt fabric) to make placemats

but had, on discovering the sad fading of the favourite cloth, ordered some linen from Lithuania, which arrived before Christmas. Once the festivities were past, I pre-washed the linen, ironed it while damp, and set to work on making the tablecloth.
 If I'd ordered 10cm more, a false hem at the ends wouldn't have been necessary
 ... but it worked out in the end, mitred corners and all -
 Ahhh - done - and I'm not unhappy with the brown check -

Meanwhile a charity shop find was a curtain made of ticking, which will (one day!) make another tablecloth, with a jolly print around all the hems -

1 comment:

patty a. said...

Your tablecloth turned out lovely! That ticking cloth will be cute with that border. Thanks for the link for linen.