24 June 2010

Sketchbook project

Inside the envelope - a 56-page sketchbook. The Sketchbook Project is run by the Brooklyn Art Library; you pay a few dollars and choose a theme and a colour of cover; they send you a book with your very own barcode on the back; you fill it and return it -- and then all the books are available for people to look at.My theme is "this is not a sketchbook" (it's a time machine!) - I started TravelWriting right away, and will document that on its blog.
The paper is quite thin and the blobs of ink from my fountain pen soak through - but that adds to the character. Instead of turning the pages into a concertina etc etc, I'll leave them as a plain ordinary book. It will probably take till mid-August to fill up, unless I start using "studio time" to travel around. Within 24 hours of receiving the book, I've travelled to the end of my local overground train line (Barking) instead of getting off at the second stop and going straight home - that filled several pages.

No comments: