07 January 2013

Colourful inspiration

This weekend's rug-hooking workshop with Annie Sherburne was really inspiring! I had taken along these sedate colours -
but Annie provided choice from a couple of trolley-loads of wonderful yarns and fabric strips (including dyed wool blankets), which encouraged me to break out into using some delicious colours and a variety of textures -



On the table is Annie's "journey piece" - the idea is that as you walk on the rug, the landscape underfoot is continually changing -
First we combined different types and colours of yarns and fabric into "tassels", and then Annie showed us how to use the Brown's tool -

I couldn't wait to cut the loops of my little mat, but on reflection prefer it uncut -
On the left are the delicious bundles of colour made during the workshop - and next day, I took the remaining bits of yarn and combined them with the dull stuff I'd taken along ... two hours of sheer play -
Even the dull ones look colourful, taken one by one -
Outcomes: purchase of a copy of Annie's book, revival of an interest in colour combining, and a desire to break out into wild woolly hooking!

The Brown's tool is also called a rag rugger - see how it works here.



2 comments:

Jane Housham said...

So inspiring, thank you. I've got the book on my Amazon wishlist now as well. Great colours and textures.

Kathleen Loomis said...

these are delicious! what's a Browns tool?