02 November 2021

Drawing Tuesday - big bodies

For the "big ugly bodies" topic,  I was thinking along the lines of 

 -animals like rhinoceros etc

https://sites.google.com/site/100objectsbritishmuseum/home/durer-s-rhinocerosif you want to read about Durer's rhino -



- vehicle bodies that have "suffered" in some way -

In the human realm, Jenny Saville's big portraits crossed my mind and on looking at them, I had mixed emotions - big bodies, fine; disfigured faces, not pleasant to look at...

In the abstract / conceptual realm, there is the "body of work" - and body of proof, body of evidence, body of lies....

Or a body of water?


But what people came up with was hardly "ugly" - the drawings were inventive and beautiful! 


From Judith - a pair of elephants from the Brunei exhibition



From Janet K - Earthenware tomb figure of a roaring lion. Tang Dynasty about 700-750. (From Brunei Gallery)


Body builders - Gross! (for "big ugly bodies")



From Carol - Here are some big ugly vegetable bodies which turn out to be very good for you. I will be having a cook up later. Celeriac, butternut squash, chayote and purple carrots (which were being sold as witches noses)



From Ann - Here are a few bodies..though I don't consider them ugly. Enjoyable to draw and lovely forms.





From Jo - I decided to have a scissors-fest with yesterday's paper!



From Gill - Some bodies created out of blots.



From Joyce - Big, ugly bodies, I give you a monkfish! Who knew they are so huge? I’ve included the fisherman to give it scale.



From Sue K - Here’s my take of a woman seated in the cafe. She seemed to ‘fit’ the bill - took a sneaky pic & did at home. She was deeply engrossed & barely moved. 



From Judith - Memories of Horniman Museum Walrus.



From me -  an unintentional ink blot brought a body - in action - to mind, and I had a paintbrush to hand for a few finishing touches...



No comments: