23 November 2010

An angel in the studio?

"I go to the studio everyday because one day I may go and the Angel will be there. What if I don't go and the Angel comes?" - Philip Guston
This angel (of the annunciation) is from Siena, about 1350, and is in the Rhode Island School of Design art museum. If you're an angel, do you need wings?
Addendum: coincidentally I found this angel while tidying around the desk; she was given to me at library school by Angela, so has been looking after my writing endeavours for several decades.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

okay, not to get too technical, theology training coming to the fore...there are different "ranks" of angels. Some are mentioned as having wings, such as Seraphim. But not all are described that way. So, it is open to debate.

Interesting that the one from the middle ages didn't have wings. I understood that the "angels have wings" idea really took hold then and is still in current thought.

Sandy
And by the way, thanks again for the book workshop on Saturday!