26 January 2018

Making an effort with food

Exciting to see so many quinces at Walthamstow Market - but what do you do with them?

"quince jelly, poached quince, quince jam, quince membrillo, quince tarte tatin, and quince compote" are suggested here.

Maybe I should have bought some, but I'm all cooked out after producing this lot yesterday -
Mushroom curry, potato and spinach curry, tarka dhal; served with rice and yogurt. And for some crazy reason, I made baked apples as well...

Three voracious eaters, and lots of leftovers. However the length of time taken to do the cooking has made me rethink - next time, just one dish (plus rice and raita). "Keep it simple..."

3 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

for someone who has as many diverse calls on their time your conclusion about entertaining seems totally logical. Go with it.

reensstitcher said...

I am quite jealous of your ability to find quinces. They were part of my childhood, usually as quince and apple pie, but it is years since I have seen them here, either as trees or as quinces on a market. I doubt whether they grow down here.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I've really been hankering for some Indian food lately, leaning towards cooking up a batch of chicken vindaloo. But as you say, it's a lot of work, and requires the side dishes too (homemade chutney, tomato sambal and banana raitta are my choices) so I keep putting it off. I'd have loved to sit down and share this feast with you. :-)