27 January 2018

Unexpected walk

When I took the train to Welwyn North (four or five stops up the line from Finsbury Park) I thought it would be to do a led walk - but hey, that's not happening till tomorrow!

So I set off on my own, in the morning sunshine, along footpaths through the woods beside the railway -
Which way now?
 Lots of exposed roots -
 and raised banks with veteran trees -
 And sturdy fenceposts with metal caps (like roofs on houses??) -

Hissing noises were heard - they came from these turrets, which were built to let the steam from the trains escape from the tunnel. The tunnel has a date of 1850 -

This tower is a newer addition to the countryside - intrusive, but so useful when you need to keep checking a map and can use your phone! -
 Look, signs of spring at the roadside -
Seeing the distant farm buildings, and church steeple on the horizon, felt like going back in time into the far reaches of an old painting -
My goal, given the change in circumstances, was Art Van Go in Knebworth (the next station along), where I looked at various materials and thought about how to take the "sports pages" forward.

As the train returned to Finsbury Park, the drizzle had set in. Thanks to a faulty bunion (aren't they all!) I limped home and was quite glad to have been spared the longer walk.

It was good to get out in the countryside. It's good to feel energetic again.

And back indoors, it was good to get on with the woodblock cutting (more of that another time).

2 comments:

TinaP said...

aha i find my laptop will let me post a comment if i first click on your name. more efficient than my iphone or ipad! too much technology!!

really pleased you walked anyway, i think im also in danger of getting my days muddled, everything here seems so full yet so unstructured that i find im not checking my icalendar each day, may draw a paper diary chart for myself, if only i had a printer to print a page out! lol!!

thanks for the crocusses/crocus?? so what was hissing in the old tunnels?

i hope your improved health and energy levels persist xx

Sue Sharples said...

Cheering to see the clump of crocus - ours are not flowering yet. Snowdrops & hellebores are out in our garden! Brave of you to head off alone.