23 October 2013

Dogs in quilts

The other day at the National Gallery we were noticing the various dogs in the paintings - and sure enough, in the bookshop was a big fat book about dogs in art! (And it's not the only one of its kind...) Then this pooch romped into my inbox -
"Mendelssohn" by Franki Kohler
so I went looking for some other dogs in quilts. First, some portraits, then some abstracts and/or some patterns...

This is Sammy (via this blog)-

This block pattern can be customised to your dog or your friend's dog -

Two pets remembered - and many more dog quilts here -

From the colour distribution, this could be a heat-seeking dog ... I like the idea ... (from here) -

Strangely little is required to make individual personalities (from here) -

How to piece a bassett hound? now he needs ears (via) -

Scotties are probably the cutsie dog par excellence for quilt patterns -

Getting much more abstract, here's another pattern -

And another abstract rendition (from here) -

I had honestly forgotten that I contributed to this plethora of pooches with "Yappy Dog", made for the Little Gems raffle in 2008 -

So, enough already! Besotted dog-lovers might want to visit this pinterest board, which has some excellent portraits.

4 comments:

Living to work - working to live said...

I'm a dog lover ( see my last post for all my doggy friends ) so thanks for this.

kzieben said...

Dogs are one of my favorite subjects to photograph.

Cate Rose said...

These are simply wonderful!

LA Paylor said...

I've done lots of dog quilts, and quilts with dogs in them. I did a portrait of my labradaughter Chelsea that I never exhibited as it was too precious, being completed after her passing. My Standard Poodle figures prominently in many quilts. He is very arty... Check out my STAT project for two of him.
LEeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com/