27 August 2017

Problems with The Cloud - and mice

On the one hand, it's so convenient to have photos taken on the phone automatically uploaded to the computer. On the other hand, when it doesn't happen, you do wonder what's wrong ... and today seems to be one of those "other hand" days.

Photos from this morning are there,  but none since noon. I'm tired of waiting (and wondering).

On the way to my son's I had to stop at the pound shop and buy some mousetraps. What a selection!

The good-old-fashioned type are 4 for £1.50. He'd asked for 20. He had also read that it's a good idea to wear gloves while handling them, as mice can detect human scents. Fortunately the traps were packaged in plastic packs, so perhaps my scent hasn't  permeated the contents and put the critters off.

The bait is to be peanut butter. A little - not a lot - is said to be more efficacious.

As for the ethics of the entire thing (should we live and let live with these tiny creatures?) - I simply don't know. We humans feel we should be In Control. We want to hygienise our ecosystems. We are arrogant. I think we need to think about "simple" things like this a little more.

And I think we need to be less "twitchy" about other creatures - mice, spiders, insects, earthworms....

Well, I'd thought to be showing you the lovely rose that finally got planted, and instead you're reading about ways of getting rid of vermin. Sorry. If the photos finally land on Planet136A, you'll see the rose soon. Meanwhile, I'm truly sorry about those little mice, and hope their entrance points can be found and plugged, so that traps will become unnecessary.

2 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

I agree with you, very ambivalent about dealing with the odd mouse that tends to make its way into under the sink cupboard in the kitchen once autumn arrives.
I remember many years ago I found one sitting in the almost empty rubbish bin under the sink and called the 3 children in to have a good look at it, he was so gorgeous, we then marched to farthest corner of our place and released him, needless to say unknown to children it was probably trapped at a later date.

magsramsay said...

At work I had a woodmouse make a nest in the corner of my office from my Kew sweatshirt ( shows how often that corner was cleaned....) It had been nibbling some of the succulent plants on the windowsill ( a rather poor diet) and was captured using a live trap and released in the Gardens. It was very cute with big eyes. Less enamoured of the rat in the drain in the conservatory.