02 March 2013

Art I like - Takashi Iwasaki

I didn't know which image of work by Takashi Iwasaki to choose, so here's what you see when you google his name. The various stitches in this closeup (from here) caught my eye -
It's a fantastical world, made cheerful by the colours - sort of Paul Klee and Gert and Uwe Tobias meet Tilleke Schwarz and Janet Bolton (or even Jim Flora)?

Iwasaki was born in Japan in 1982 and moved to Winnipeg, Canada, in 2002. He says of his work: "Most of my recent works (after 2009) are either visual recording of my daily life or visualization of my imaginary worlds or landscapes that no one would see unless otherwise depicted; whereas my earlier works have been mostly focused on their formal qualities." As well as embroideries, he makes painting, collages, sculpture and prints.
Midoriyaamehatzga, 2009, 51 cm square (from here)

No comments: