21 March 2013

Sewing kit update

Thanks for the suggestions about using a button-and-loop closure, supplying tiny scissors, having a loop threaded through spools of thread, making sure the pointy end of the scissors is safely tucked away...

A couple of cords, either side of the scissors, could carry 4 reels of threads if the basic rectangular size of the sewing kit was a few cm larger. But the problem comes in finding "something" to use - a narrow ribbon?? - and, more problematically, how to attach the free end after the new owner of the sewing kit adds the reels. Maybe a loop that goes over a button...

I liked this ersatz cotton reel with thread wrapped on it
(image from here)
and instead of supplying real scissors, I was thinking of putting some cardboard ones in, to indicate what goes where...

Maybe I'll use elastic - coloured! - for slipping things under - 
(image from here)
"Hat elastic" - the round stuff, looks like stretchy gimp - could also be useful. 

Once these sorts of details are tried out, I'll make some more actual kits -- working towards making a travelling sewing kit, something that's nice to use because it does what you want. Every sewer, though, is different in the tools they use and need to have with them ... so there has to be some leeway in what there's space for. "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Until the final, refined, polished, "perfect" version is produced, here are a couple of interim versions.
Front

Back
Interior of the one with the button closure
Interior of the one with the tie closure

3 comments:

Sandy said...

How about a popper at the end of the ribbon through which the reels of cotton are placed.
I Like the ersatz cotton reel.
Aldi are doing largish sewing kits around now (I can't remember which date from the booklet.) at their prices you could get a few and have gubbins for several of your own kits.
Sandy

Kathleen Loomis said...

My brother and sister-in-law used to both be investment bankers back in the heyday of same. As they lived in Australia, they spent a lot of time on airplanes going to where the action was, first-class of course, and collected bazillions of little travel kits, many out of leather and very handsome. I have several that I use as sewing kits. Lots of cute little pockets inside. Of course this required zero creativity or work on my part, unlike your project!

magsramsay said...

I'm eyeing up my partially started bookwraps to see how they could be adapted for sewing. I have a small heart shaped crazy patchwork sewing case my mum made - the scissor ends rest in a thimble with the loop closure going between the handles to secure it.