28 December 2012

Art I like - Jan Myers-Newbery

Pure pleasure, letting your eye rove round to look at the nuances and conjunctions of colours, and the depth and disruptions of the angular shibori patterning.

Jan Myers-Newbery is one of six artists featured in SAQA Showcase at International Quilt Study Center and Museum, Lincoln, Nebraska, till 24 February (or view the exhibition online, here).

"She has made her “fabric-driven” quilts, without any preliminary design work, for the past twenty years. Her experiments in the dye process produce distinct and sometimes commanding patterns and color layering. She combines the fabrics in ways wherein they speak to one another and to her."

She was asked in an email interview - What would you like viewers to remember about your works? Her answer: "I would like the viewer to find beauty in my work, and to understand the great pleasure I derive from the act of making each quilt."

It works for me. See more of her work on her website, or here.

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

I LOVE Jan's work. I was fortunate to take her shibori class several years ago in Oregon. Her shibori is the BEST!