11 December 2012

More for the wish lists

Different bookshop, and yet more almost-irresistible books -
 "Out of sheer rage," wrote DH Lawrence, "I have started my book on Thomas Hardy; it will be about anything but Thomas Hardy, I am afraid" - Geoff Dyer's book is supposed to be about DH Lawrence, but is about many other things, including procrastination. As for animals, I know very little indeed about them and their minds, and liked the look of Jenny Diski's book.

 The Imperfectionists seemed interesting when approached from the back - it's about "an improbably English-language newspaper in Rome", but on seeing it's "The International Bestseller" I went off it rather. Inside Foer's book are variations of book format, including a chapter with certain words circled in red - many words on each page....

Hiaasen [interesting spelling] is a crime-writer favourite - the subtext is usually ecological, and the stories are good. As for Mankell, not sure which ones I've read....

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

Thanks for the book recs. I just requested Star Island from the library -- hadn't heard of Hiassen before, and I love Nordic crime novels.
Re: Cage's quote -- I like it, sounds like a great way to operate. I'm also covetous of that long work table! I so lack space...